Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Herby's Home!

June 11, 2013! Herby is ready to be picked up from ACS!

After anxiously awaiting to find out when my first foster friend would be able to get home,  I got him! So to say Herby was a vision is an understatement... A vision he certainly was. A long day of work and watching the clock go by until I could get on the road to Herby and of course- it rained. And it rained hard. I feared I would not make it!  When my friend (Victoria) and I arrived, the staff was not very friendly... I was sent on a goose chase to find Herby and ended up right where I started to finally get him in my arms! A friendly woman asked me who I was here for and I proudly said "Herby!" as I then looked down at my phone to see his ID number. The lady knew exactly who Herby was and just smiled and said "I think I know who that is. I'll be right back." I smiled, thanked her, and nervously waited.
Waiting in my rain boots....
 
I constantly looked outside the window to see where Herby was as I watched many people with dogs until finally, the sweet woman was carrying a skinny and dirty white dog. I smiled excitedly as the lady walked in and explained to me that he had already been fixed, and seemed to have a vision problem and possibly a hearing problem.
 
I took Herby into my arms and looked down at him. He sniffed at me and I could swear his eyes met mine before he licked my nose ever so sweetly as if it were wrong to. I know he was saying "Thank you." in that moment. I kissed him back despite how smelly he was and took him to the car happily!
 
[I was pre-kissing him in this picture! hehe my lips look silly]
 
 
To say Herby was a vision is an understatement... Fleas and ticks being poisoned by the medicine he was given were still striving to live on him. Poor Herby was dirty and his skin is very irritated. I did not know what to expect with fostering... I guess I was not exactly expecting that. However, I felt even more thankful that I had him to care for. He seemed so uncomfortable and sad but did he complain? No. He did not itch, did not bite, nor did he whimper. Herby is such a sweetie. He truly is Prince Charming.
 
After a long ride in, Herby and I finally made it home. He was passed out in the cage the entire way home. He seemed so content and happy it was hard to wake him up. But now was the time to meet the all mighty Bitsy! (Who received a horrible hair cut- groomed by yours truly!)
Bad Haircut!
 
Anyway... Walking into the house, Bitsy could instantly smell a stranger was in and went a little... well she was handful. But that little girl and her big bark did not phase the brave Prince- Herby. Eventually, the two were fine as they sniffed each other thoroughly. Herby is perfectly fine with other dogs it seems, its Bitsy who is a bit territorial. Herby finally decided to wonder out of the kennel I provided him but sadly... the vision problem seems to be a bit of an understatement.
I called my vet to schedule a check up for Herby but their hours were closed when I called so I will confirm the status on Herby's vision ASAP. However, Herby stumbles a bit when he walks (something I did not notice because the lady at ACS was holding Herby- claiming he would not walk) and lacks coordination and direction as he walks. He does not seem to be aware of objects near by and ran into a few tables and chairs. I snapped a bit to have Herby find me and he did very well so I do not believe he has a hearing problem! Again, I will confirm as soon as I know anything for sure.
 
First thing was first though, Herby needed a bath!  Herby is very well behaved and only grunts, not once have I heard him bark. He was not too thrilled about that bath but he did not at all try to escape and waited quite patiently. However, at the end of the bath he did have a little accident- luckily he tinkled in the tub...  But after drying the sweet boy off, he did have a number 2 on the floor. Luckily it was tile and easy to pick up. But I can be sure it is safe to say he is not house trained. I'll be working on that though! Herby really is a sweet boy and he didn't mean to make an accident!
Sweet Herby after a bath still trying to get dry!
 
After letting him wonder around, I decided to show him to the little bed I made him, having to pick him up, I took him to my large walk in closet where I made a pallet for him. I put a doggy gate in front of the door so he will never be closed off and he has a light and everything!
 
 
As soon as he felt the soft cushion of the blankets, Herby was in heaven... He made himself right at home and it was not long until the sweet Prince fell asleep. I smiled and softly kissed him before tiptoeing my way out to let him sleep. He has been asleep since, he needed soft blankets and love. Now time to let the sweetie rest. Another bath will follow though! He is not completely clean!

                                                             First Day with Herby!
 
 -Megan Young

No comments:

Post a Comment